VBMS - Plough Beach Skid Structural Design
For a beaching operation the HD3 Plough of VBMS is pulled backwards towards the beach. To support the plough, a beach skid needed to be designed and fabricated. The beach skid exists of the following main specifications:
- Main dimensions: approximately 10m Length x 1.9m Width.
- Weight approximately: 3.5 tons.
- 1 towing point with a SWL of 90 tons.
- 2 shafts to connect with the plough share.
- Hydraulic system to retract the 2 shafts.
Our sister company, Offshore Independents, performed the structural engineering support:
- A conceptual design of the skid was supplied to Offshore Independents which formed the basis of the analysis.
- The skid design was analysed in ANSYS and further refined into a detailed design.
- According to AISC ASD 9th Edition and ISO EN 10025 regulations.